Aug 13, 2013

Homemade Sushi

For my birthday I wanted Sushi. But it can be hard to go out to a sushi restaurant and find something gluten free. On top of that I'm pregnant, so no fried rolls or anything uncooked. I realized this wasn't an easy combination to find at a restaurant. So I decided to make it a fun sushi making night for my birthday.

I made a list of my favorite combinations from my favorite restaurants, and slightly altered them so they would be gluten free as well as cooked. I love the more fruity sushi's and my husband loves the spicy ones, so we did a little of both with a little combinations too.

Our favorite combinations*
crab, jalapeno, cream cheese, spicy sauce, topped with thinly sliced lemons
shrimp, mango, jalapeno, cream cheese, topped with eel sauce
crab, avocado, cucumber, cream cheese, topped with spicy sauce
shrimp, cucumber, sweet potato, cream cheese, topped with eel sauce
shrimp, mango, jalapeno, spicy sauce, topped with thinly sliced lemons

I decided to use crab sticks as well as shrimp as our foundations. Now as a heads up, the imitation crab stick I tried to get had wheat as an ingredient. So if you're strongly averse to gluten, make sure you find one without, or use real crab stick. If you want to use raw fish, make sure you use sushi grade fish (ask at the fish counter to make sure you can serve this raw).

Homemade Sushi


2 c sushi rice
3 1/2 c water
1/2 c rice vinegar
1 T vegetable oil
1/4 c sugar
1 t salt

Rinse the rice in a strainer or colander until the water runs clear. In rice cooker, combine water with vinegar, oil, sugar and salt. Add the rinsed rice and stir. Cook until rice cooker turns off.

spicy mayo
sweet eel sauce
10 seaweed wrappers
filling*
poppy seeds/sesame seeds

wasabi
soy sauce

To make the sushi you will also need a sushi mat, saran wrap if you want to make an inside out rolls (rice on the outside).

Lay down your sushi mat, followed by your rice paper. Top with sushi rice (covering 2/3 of the seaweed paper). If you want an inside out roll, flip the rice paper over on top of a piece of saran wrap (placed on top of the sushi mat). Fill with your choice of toppings. When you're ready to roll it up, slightly dampen the sushi on the end, and using the sushi mat, roll it all up! Slice it up and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment