Sep 3, 2013

Steel Cut Oatmeal


I've never been a big oatmeal fan. Lately I've been trying to eat more of it because I know it's good for you, but it's never been something I would choose to eat. A few months ago work brought in some oatmeal from Jamba Juice. It was the best stuff I've ever tasted, and I've been thinking about the recipe since. I'm not willing to pay $3 for a little bowl of oatmeal, and I figured if I could find a recipe, I would give it a whirl.

This weekend I found Steel Cut oats at Sunflower Market (a kinda hippy-farmer's market local grocery store), so I bought a pound, and found a recipe I could tweak online. The results were just fabulous! Best oatmeal I've ever had. 


Steel Cut Oats



1 T butter
1 c steel cut oats*
3 c boiling water
1 c milk (I used low fat)
1 T vanilla
fruit, nuts and brown sugar to taste

In a large sauce pot, melt the butter and add the oats. Toast the oats for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the boiling water and reduce heat to a summer. Simmer on low for 25 minutes, stirring 5 minutes before the time is up.

Pour the milk into the oatmeal, stir in, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a bowl and top with brown sugar, fruit and nuts. 

Yields: 4 servings

* If you're strongly adverse to gluten, make sure your oats are certified gluten free


It took about an hour to cook all together, but it was well worth the time. Also, we refrigerated the leftovers (we didn't know it would make 4 servings), and it reheated fabulously! I added a little more milk to it when microwaving it, but it tasted just as good as the first day. 

I just love how this oatmeal feels like it has more substance to it. It's thicker and more hearty. I added strawberries and nuts to mine, and it just gave it a little crunch and zest that I've never found in an oatmeal before! This recipe is definitely a keeper. I also love bananas and walnuts or peaches mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment