Feb 11, 2014

Strawberry Meringues


My son and I needed to try a new cookie for Valentines Day. So we wiped up a batch of meringues. I've had these in mint before, but this was the first time I've tried another flavor. The strawberry reminded me of Strawberry Mentos. My son was in love with these. I prefer the mint ones, but these were fun for Valentines days.

Strawberry Meringues


4 medium egg whites
3/4 c sugar
1/8 t salt
1/8 t cream of tartar
1 t strawberry extract (or whatever flavor you prefer)
1 drop blue food coloring
4 drops pink food coloring

Place a large pot of water over high heat and boil. Place your egg whites and sugar in a metal mixer bowl. Place mixing bowl over the boiling water and whisk until the sugar is mixed in. Remove from heat and mix in salt and cream of tartar.

Add the strawberry extract and mix on medium high speed until glossy peaks form (around 5 minutes). Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. 

Fill a pastry bag with the mixture and make 1 1/2 inch swirls on your silicone baking mat (placed 1 inch apart).

Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until meringues are dry to the touch. If you like them more firm, bake longer. Allow to cool off and place in an airtight container until ready to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment