Jun 3, 2014

Sweet Pulled Pork (Crock Pot)

I love Cafe Rio! I am proud to say I discovered it at it's original location 3 years after it opened. It's my go to Mexican joint. That being said, of course I make my own version of their pulled pork at home. We eat it on salads, in burritos, with a side of mashed potatoes, on baked potatoes, and even on a bun as a sandwich. It's just so good.

And if for some crazy reason you can't eat an enormous pot in one setting, the leftovers freeze great! I scoop it into a ziplock bag and flatten and freeze. That way it stacks really well.

Sweet Pulled Pork


5 - 6 lb pork roast
2 cans Dr Pepper (I use caffeine free, but don't use diet)
1 1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c white sugar
1 clove garlic (minced)
7 oz. chilies in sauce (do not drain)
6 oz. red taco sauce (mild)
1 t dry mustard
1 t cumin
1/4 cayenne pepper

Place roast in your crockpot, cover half way with water and cook on low for 12 hours. Drain pork. Slightly break up the pork so there is more surface area to soak up the seasonings. Add all ingredients and cook for an additional 6 hours. If you like your pork really shredded (like above), 2 hours before serving shred pork completely.

This is delicious as a taco salad (with tomatoes, beans, lettuce, tortilla chips and dressing), makes a fabulous burrito with a spicy mango salsa, or even is tasty on a bun as a pulled pork sandwich (Think white cheese melted on top). My husband like larger chunks when making a sandwich, so consider what you want to do with this when shredding. Also, if 5 lbs of pork sounds daunting, you can half it or even make it all and freeze some of the pork. It reheats great!

No comments:

Post a Comment