Mar 26, 2013

Key Lime Pie

I adapted this recipe from my Uncle John's Key Lime Pie recipe. He used to frequent Florida and bring back fresh key lime juice. Oh heavens! Get the real key lime juice if you can. It has far more of a kick to it!

I'm sure you've noticed from the picture this isn't a normal piece of pie. I make 2 mini pies when I bake just for my husband and I. One mini pie is two servings, two is four servings. We really don't need a whole pie if I'm baking for us. Because if the pie is in the house we I end up eating it all!

But the recipe is written for a full, normal pie. If you want to make two mini pies, just divide the recipe in half.

Key Lime Pie



Tart Crust
1 c brown rice flour mixture
1/4 c sugar
1 t xanthan gum
5 T butter
1 t vanilla

Filling
1 3/4 c condenced milk
6 egg yolks (separated)
4 oz key lime juice

Topping
Whipped Cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the wrack in the middle of the oven. Lightly spray a pie pan and dust with brown rice flour mixture. Mix flour, sugar and xanthan gum in a electric mixer. Add butter and vanilla and mix thoroughly. The mixture will be very crumbly. Bake for 12 minutes*. Set aside, but leave the oven on.

Combine milk, eggs, and lime juice. Pour into pie crust. Turn off the oven and place the pie in it for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in the fridge. Top with whipped cream and enjoy!


*If you're using this as a substitute for a grahm cracker crust in a pie that doesn't get cooked with the filling, cook for 18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment