May 7, 2013

Gooey Brownies

Since going Gluten Free, I've only found box mixes that satisfy my brownie craving. The recipes I've tried up to now have been more like cake than anything else. But THESE brownies are everything I've missed in a brownie!

They're moist and gooey. They're delicious plain. I enjoy them with nuts and chocolate chips in them. I love them with ice cream. They're so good, my husband didn't know they were gluten free when I had him try them! You can make a single batch in an 8 x 8 inch pan, or you can double it in a 9 x 13 pan.

Gooey Brownies


1/2 c brown rice flour
1/4 c cornstarch
1/3 c cocoa powder (heaping)
1/4 t salt
1/8 t xanthan gum
1 c sugar
9 T butter (softened)
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly spray down 8 x 8 pan. Mix brown rice flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, salt and xanthan gum in a bowl. This can be mixed in advance for easy baking later. Set aside. In an electric mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add dry mix to the liquid and combine.

The mixture is a lot thicker than a typical brownie mix; that's how it should be. Scrape mix into 8 x 8 inch pan. Spread mix to the edges of the pan. If having problems, wet fingers with water and push to the edges of the pan with your fingers. Bake 30 - 35 minutes*. The top will be crackly and a toothpick will come out clean.


*I don't like the crispy edges on brownies, so this is the perfect temperature for me. If you want a crispy edge, cook a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment