May 21, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

Sometimes you need a little comfort food. Chicken Pot Pie is one of my favorites. My mom used to make it from scratch. I love the creamy, buttery filling. The crispy crust was to die for. When I went away to college I made sure this recipe came with me.

I add a little more veggies than my mom, and sometimes I switch up the ingredients. Sometimes I add corn or green beans, I always add extra peas. The sauce goes great with any veggies.

You can make a full version of this recipe in a 9 x 11 inch pan, or make a half batch in a 8 x 8 inch pan. A full batch will serve 8 - 9 and a half batch will serve 4 - 5. The recipe is made for a full batch, but it can easily be halved.

Chicken Pot Pie


1 chicken breast (cubed)
2 small carrots (sliced)
5 small potatoes (cubed)
1 1/2 c peas
1/3 c brown rice flour mixture
1/8 t xanthan gum
1/4 c onion (chopped)
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t salt
1 3/4 c chicken broth
2/3 c milk
1/3 c margarine

4 batches pie crust dough

Preheat oven to 425. In a large pot add water, chicken, carrots and potatoes. Boil for 15 - 20 minutes (until chicken is cooked and potatoes are soft). Drain, add peas, and set aside.

Melt margarine over low heat. Blend in flour, xanthan gum, onion, salt, pepper, broth, and milk. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until mixture thickens (about 1 minute). Pour over chicken and veggies and gently mix together.

Bake bottom crust for 10 minutes. Pour filling into the pan, and top with remaining pie crust. Seal edges and cut slits in the center. Bake for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment