May 28, 2013

Cranberry Orange Bread

Before going gluten free I loved this recipe! Whenever I made it, I would eat half the loaf the same day. I converted this recipe to bring to a dinner we were invited to, and just had to try a piece before. Needless to say between myself, my  husband and my son, half a loaf was gone before we left the house... oops! It was just that good. This is a great side with dinner, but it also makes a fabulous breakfast bread.

Cranberry Orange Bread


1 c sugar
3 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t xanthan gum
3/4 c orange juice (about 2 oranges)
1 T grated orange peel
2 T shortening
2 large eggs (well beaten)
1 1/2 c frozen cranberries
1/2 c walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Stir in orange juice, peel, shortening and eggs. Scrape down the sides and mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Lightly spray a bread pan and dust with brown rice flour. Transfer batter to pan and bake for 55 - 65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this with some expired Pamela's Bread Mix I had on hand and it came out good. You could tell the flour was not super fresh. Overall, I would make this again. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I'm sure you would have better results with fresh flour. I love toasting a piece of this bread for breakfast.

      Delete