Dec 17, 2013

Chow Mein

Christmas and New Years make me think of Chinese food. Growing up, my family always had chinese food either for Christmas, or soon after. So what better to go with your delicious entrees, than Chow Mein. Or is it Lo Mein? I had to look it up actually: Chow means fried, Lo means tossed. So since this is pan fried, it would be Chow Mein. Either way it's delicious!

Chow Mein


1/4 c soy sauce*
1 T brown sugar
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 t powdered ginger
shake black pepper
3 - 4 T vegetable oil
4 servings round rice noodles**
1/2 medium onion (sliced thinly)
2/3 c celery (chopped)
2 c cabbage (chopped)

Combine soy sauce, brown, sugar, garlic, ginger and pepper in a small bowl and set aside. Boil the noodles according to directions on the back of the pack. The pack I bought required 6 - 8 minutes, and I did them 8 (until just past al dante). Drain, rinse, and set aside.

Heat oil in a wok (or large skillet). Saute onions and celery for 2 minutes. Add cabbage and saute for 1 more minute. Add noodles and sauce and saute 2 - 3 more minutes.

Yields: 6 - 8 servings

* Make sure your Soy Sauce is gluten free, La Choy brand is
** I get my rice noodles from the Asian market down the street. I prefer the ones that are the thickness of Spaghetti (although they do not make a great spaghetti substitute). These are fabulous as a side for just about any asian dish that has a sauce (ex. stirfry, broccoli beef, orange chicken...)

No comments:

Post a Comment